Job Title: Translation Support Officer
- Responsible to: Head of Membership Services and Digital Participation
- Salary: WCVA Grade B: £21,962 pro rata per annum increasing to £23,398 pro rata per annum following successful completion of a 6 month probationary period.
- Base: Aberystwyth
- Annual leave: 25 days plus bank holidays plus five discretionary days
- Travel: Use of public transport is preferred; when this is not convenientstaff may use their own vehicles or use the car rental system. Mileage rates are paid in accordance with recommended Inland Revenue rates.
- Hours: 21 hours per week. A flexi time scheme is in operation and time off in lieu is permissible for any work required to be undertaken outside the normal hours.
- Superannuation: The post will attract a maximum contribution of 9% of annual salary to WCVA’s approved pension scheme or membership to the local authority final salary pension scheme.
- Language skills: An excellent ability to communicate in both English and Welsh, in particular in the written form.
- Aim of the Post: To provide a professional translation service to WCVA staff from English to Welsh and occasionally from Welsh to English.
Translating documents from English to Welsh and occasionally from Welsh to English. Materials to be translated may include press releases, briefing papers, promotional materials and committee papers.To translate correspondence (letters and emails) received from external sources from Welsh to English.To proof read work received from freelance translators and others.Keep an accurate record of the work completed.To manage day-to- day management of externally translated materials as required.
This is not an exhaustive list. The post holder may be asked to carry out additional duties from time to time or, as required, by the developing needs of the service or organisation.
As WCVA is part financed by European Funding (through the Welsh European Funding Office) some of your duties may require you to spend time working across these projects.
The WEFO references for these projects are 80845, 80846, 80847 and 80848.
The following are essential skills: (candidates who cannot demonstrate these skills will not be short listed)
1. Have an excellent ability to communicate in both English and Welsh, in particular in the written form.
2. Have excellent translation skills and a minimum of two years’ experience of translating from English to Welsh and vice versa.
3. Have excellent proof reading skills.
4. Have excellent ICT skills, including MS Office.
5. Have a commitment to high standards of customer care.
6. Have a commitment to equal opportunities.
The following are key skills: (these skills are needed for the role but could be acquired on
the job or through training within 6 months of appointment)
1. Have a translation qualification.
2. Have the ability to work to deadlines and to prioritise tasks.
3. Have excellent organisational skills.
4. Are flexible and are able to work on their own and as part of a team.
5. Have an understanding of third sector specific terminology, including common terms used by WCVA and other public bodies.
The following are desirable skills: (these skills are preferable, and would enhance theapplication)
1. Membership of the Association of Welsh Translators and Interpreters.
2. Have experience of working in the third sector.
Please note we do not accept cv’s in application to our vacancies; to apply for this position please download the application pack below.