INDEPENDENT ADVOCATE – YOUR VOICE ADVOCACY PROJECT
Salary: £21,840 to £24,000 per annum
Your Voice Advocacy Project is an established charity (1989) working across Swansea and Neath Port Talbot providing independent advocacy and peer advocacy to adults with a learning disability. YVAP also provides opportunities for social interaction and confidence building through social events. We are looking for an exceptional candidate to join our growing and successful organisation to deliver independent advocacy to a high standard. The post is part time (21 hours per week) for an initial period until 31/3/19. Continuation beyond this date will depend on funding.
The Independent Advocate is responsible to the Project Co-ordinator and will be expected to carry out the following roles tasks and activities:
- Management of referrals for advocacy for people with learning disabilities.
- Assessment of service users and facilitation of advocacy agreement.
- Direct advocacy on behalf of adults with learning disabilities.
- Attendance at meetings and events related to each individual case.
- Liaising with professionals and other parties relevant to each individual case.Utilisation of accessible information and resources specific to the needs of each client.
- Maintenance of accurate records and notes of each advocacy case and related meetings.
- Working in partnership with other organisations and other Your Voice Advocacy provision.
- Preparation of reports for Project Coordinator and Management Committee.
- Willingness to undergo relevant training and professional development.
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in accordance with Equal Opportunities.
- Adherence to YVA Policies and Procedures and BILD (British Institute of Learning Disabilities) Advocacy StandardsTo proactively identify and take action around any Safeguarding concerns, in accordance with the organisation’s policy and procedures
- Experience/knowledge of providing Independent Instructed Advocacy Support
- An understanding of the principles of independent advocacy
- Experience of undertaking casework and managing a caseload
- Educated to Degree standard or equivalent.
- Experience of working with people who have Learning Disabilities/mental ill health.
- Holder of City & Guilds level 3 in Independent Advocacy or equivalent.
- Understand wishes and needs of adults with a learning disability and speak up on their behalf
- Able to research and explain information relating to care and treatment.
- To deliver written and verbal reports of a high standard
- Able to prioritise and organise your own caseload and maintain up to date work records
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft word and database packages, and to be administratively self-servicing.
- Able to engage with vulnerable adults and establish or maintain effective relationships with professionals across varying disciplines.
- Good negotiation and problem solving skills
- Understanding of and demonstrable commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
- Focussed on the views and needs of service users, and committed to promoting service users’ rights
- Motivated, adaptable, perseverant and accurate
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - Enhanced check required.
- Holder of driving licence and use of car
Closing date for this post is Friday 8th June 2018, 4.00pm and interviews will be scheduled for the following week.
Candidates should submit a CV with a covering letter that addresses the requirements of the person specification to,
Your Voice Advocacy Project, 22 Cradock Street, Swansea, SA1 3HE